Sunday, July 10, 2011

Feria de San Fermín (in Cascadia)

In honor of the annual event in Pamplona, I whipped up a nice Spanish paella last night. As usual, I imbibed throughout the whole process and forgot the peas! Nonetheless, it turned out to be a fantastic dish - the color, aroma, and taste of saffron is one of my favorites.  So, too, is Rosé...

Last Night's Paella

No, we didn't have the traditional Albarino or a Rioja Blanco to compliment the dish, so we made due with this nice French (Rhône) Rosé.  We don't get too uptight about that kind of stuff - mixing countries of origin and cultures at the same time. We are American, after all, and, as such, are used to bastardizations borrowing the best from what any particular culture has to offer. (If mixed breed dogs are better, why can't the same theory be applied to food?)

The accompanying wine.
  
I say don't limit yourself! Leave all that pretentious BS at the door.  You just might get gored if you don't.



"This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste."
- Chapter 7, The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway

1 comment:

  1. Just awesome! I love paella, one particular dish I recall at Don Pepe in Newark about 20 years ago. Wonderful.

    P.S. purebred dogs rock

    ReplyDelete